Friday, November 5, 2010

apple pizza

I have one word for you. Nostalgia.




Let me explain. Back when we were, oh, 13? 14? Katie and I used to sleep over at each other's house and bake. Most of the time it consisted of complete messes in the kitchen, much to the dismay of our parents.  But, it's always been our thing. We bake. Whatever.


So when Katie texted me last week that we "need to make apple pizza ASAP", I happily obliged.  The recipe that we used when we were young was super simple (I mean, I learned it in Life Skills in 8th grade, so don't give me much credit here), so I really wanted to modify it to mature with our more refined palates.  My first instinct?  Brown that butter in the crust. Always an excellent choice.




Oh, fall.  This dessert is just so comforting and satisfying.  And simple.  Enjoy, friends.


Apple Pizza
from yours truly

Crust:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar1 cup flour, sifted

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Brown the butter in a medium saucepan.
  3. In a small bowl, mix the sugars together. Add the hot butter and let sit until cooled to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
  4. Once cooled, add the flour and mix gently just until dough comes together.
  5. Pat dough evenly into a 12 inch pizza pan.

Apple topping:
2-3 small apples, cut in thin slices
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup granulated sugar

  1. In a medium sized bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar. Toss in apples to coat.
  2. Place apples in pan with dough.

Crumb topping:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup quick oats
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour (or less, depending on desired consistency)

  1. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add in oats and flour and mix until small crumbs form. (You may want to add less or more flour depending on if you want your crumbs to melt into the apples or stay formed.)
  2. Sprinkle crumbs over apple mixture until all crevasses are filled.
  3. Bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes until crust is golden brown around the edges.

    3 comments:

    1. That looks amazing! mmm I want some!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Fellow food-ie and wine-o here! Glad I found your blog :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks for following me, Jennifer! Love your blog too, fellow Chi-towner!

      ReplyDelete