Friday, January 28, 2011

simple french bread


Have I ever mentioned before how my friends and I love to bake?  Well, allow me to reiterate.  During my senior year at college, I had the pleasure of coming home to freshly baked bread approximately once every two weeks.  It was our love of baking fate that brought Katie, Amanda, and I together.  Although we were masters of beer pong and stayed up until 4 AM on school nights watching Sex and the City more times than we can ever begin to count, our inner housewives creeped out every once in a while.  Or at least Amanda's.


So naturally, when Amanda came to visit, I ordered her to bake bread while she stayed with me.  Now that we're super responsible and mature adults, we got up at 7 AM to bake this bread.  (The real reason why we were up that early is totally negates my previous statement beside the point, but that's neither here nor there.)  Regardless, it was finally my time to learn Amanda's secrets.  I was astounded at how simple this bread comes together.  Believe me, if it turned out like this on my first try, I think you can do it, too.  And you should.  It makes incredible toast, awesome with a sharp cheddar and soft pinot (we had a Garnacha), or even just good for snacking.  This bread is simple, yet intriguing. Delicate, yet dense.  Salty, yet...well, not too salty.  Crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  Perfect.  Yes, that's the word.


Simple French Bread
adapted from Amanda Jelinek

1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 cups flour (approximately)

  1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup of the warm water by adding water slowly and letting sit for 5 minutes. Once bubbles have formed, slowly and gently stir to ensure that yeast is completely dissolved.
  2. In a large bowl, combine other 3/4 cup of water, sugar, salt, and olive oil.  Add dissolved yeast mixture slowly and stir just to combine.
  3. Begin adding flour, one cup at a time, mixing each cup with 3-4 long strokes.  Once dough is sticky yet somewhat crumbly, cover with a towel and let dough rest.
  4. After ten minutes, knead dough with damp hands by gently folding dough into itself 2-3 times.  
  5. Repeat four more times for a total of five kneads.  By the fifth and final knead, dough should be about double the size of what it was at the beginning.  If it isn't, let it rest for 10 more minutes.
  6. Form dough into boule, demi-loaf, or baguettes according to your preference, but careful not to over-handle.  Score bread with a sharp knife in four diagonal cuts (baguette), criss-cross (boule), or one longitudinal cut (demi loaf).  
  7. Lightly sprinkle sea salt over tops of bread.  
  8. Place on olive-oil lined baking sheets and bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is golden brown and sounds hollow when struck with the blunt edge of a knife.
  9. Remove from oven and, if desired, rub with cold butter, allowing butter to melt over warm bread.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe there is no butter in this bread, it tastes like a biscuit! mmm I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete