Wednesday, May 18, 2011

red velvet chocolate chip cookies


Red velvet.  Yeah, that's right.  Red velvet cookies.  I have to admit, I'm not a chocolate cookie fan, but these exceeded my expectations.  Just chocolate-y enough, and semi-cake-like for just the right texture.  I first saw these on my favorite blog, How Sweet It Is, a while ago, but just had the guts to try them last week.  If you're in the mood for a new take on the classic CCC recipe, I'd highly recommend this recipe.



The only modifications I made were replacing most of the flour with cake flour in order to make the cookies a bit more cake-like and soft.  I'm a big fan of soft, chewy cookies, and these seemed to compliment its cake ancestor nicely.  I love the cracks that all of the baking soda makes in them, too!



Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

recipe adapted from Jessica at How Sweet It Is

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cake flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. 
  3. Add egg and vanilla and combine until smooth. 
  4. Beat in red food coloring. 
  5. Stir in cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt until just combined. 
  6. Fold in chocolate chips. 
  7. Scoop out dough into 1-2 tablespoon balls and set on baking sheet. 
  8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until middle begins to crack a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment