Friday, June 17, 2011

oatmeal chocolate chip cookies cups

I like following a schedule.  I am glued to my iPhone.  Google Calendar is like my right hand.  They even make refrigerators now with screens that have google in them so that you can keep your calendar, write notes, make grocery lists, and make your life infinitely better.  I don't know who makes it, but I will have this in my house.  Someday.

Sometimes routines are good.  Sometimes, you just cannot bake another. chocolate. chip. cookie.


So after my test batch of these oatmeal chocolate chip little fellas, I just couldn't do it.  I was bored.  So I whipped out my cupcake pan, filled them with fun little wrappers, and pressed that dough right in those things.  I wasn't sure they'd turn out well, but I was pleasantly surprised to yield this:


They're gooey, chewy, and the perfect portion.  Plus they're cute.  And that's all I ever want in my baked goods, anyways.  You know I love oatmeal, and these really aren't overly oat-y, but just add a nice chewy texture to an otherwise so-very-regular-it-makes-your-soul-die kind of cookie.


This is actually a recipe that I've been working on for a long time.  I saw shortening in a chocolate chip cookie recipe a while ago, (thanks, Chrissy!) and I was so intrigued.  I must have stared at this post for days before I tried it.  Shortening!  So bad it should be outlawed.  But it makes the softest, chewiest cookies.   My love for all things brown butter has found its match.  But I just can't choose.  Call me Sophie.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups
from yours truly
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, unsalted, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for topping
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2 cups chocolate chips
  1. Cream together butter, shortening, and sugars in large bowl until smooth.
  2. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition.
  3. Stir in vanilla.
  4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.  Add flour mixture to butter in three parts, mixing together until just incorporated each time.  Do not overmix.
  5. Add oats and chocolate chips and mix to combine.
  6. Let dough chill for about an hour (or up to 24) before preheating oven to 350 degrees.
  7. Once chilled, line cupcake pans with liners and press about 1 1/2" ball of dough into cupcake mold, or enough to fill the entire cup. (Dough will not rise much.)  Lightly sprinkle tops of cookies with just a bit of kosher salt.
  8. Bake for about 12-14 minutes until outer edges are golden brown and inside no longer looks shiny and doughy.

No comments:

Post a Comment