Monday, July 4, 2011

vanilla cake with chocolate cheesecake filling and strawberry cheesecake frosting

I love birthdays.  I love celebrating someone.  I love buying thoughtful gifts.  I love how excited people get when you do nice things for them. I love to think about that person, and what they would like most on their one day that's about them.

Usually, that's in baked good form.

This year, I returned the favor. To myself.


Hello, pretty.  You are my ultimate dessert.  You take everything that I love in sweets and package it up quite nicely.  You're easy on the eyes.  And my taste buds.


You are...a vanilla cake, filled with a chocolate cheesecake frosting. And topped with fresh strawberry cheesecake frosting.


I love you.



I had so much fun baking this cake.  It took me days to figure out exactly what I wanted.  


It had to be cake.  Duh.


It had to be vanilla cake.  No other form of cake is superior in my opinion.


I wanted something kind of fruity and not too rich.  It's summer.  Enter strawberry.



But then I had a serious problem: how do I incorporate chocolate?  I like a little chocolate, but not a lot.  Buttercream?  Too boring.  Then I saw this.  A gift from the heavens Jessica.



So call it a neapolitan cake.  Call it whatever you like.  Regardless, this cake was in.cred.i.ble.



Yeah.



Oh, and I can't forget to give huuuuge credit to my blog's biggest fan, Morgan Morrone, for all of the awesome photos! She's a sneaky talent who snapped all of those action and close-ups while I'm wrist-deep in frosting. Thanks, bud.

Vanilla cake with chocolate cheesecake filling and strawberry cheesecake frosting
cake recipe from Baked; chocolate filling from How Sweet It Is; strawberry frosting from yours truly


for the cake:
2 1/2 cups of cake flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups ice cold water
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

  1. Preheat the over the 325 degrees F. 
  2. Butter three 8-inch round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment paper, and butter the parchment. Dust pans with flour and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening on medium speed until creamy, about 3 to 4 minutes. 
  5. Once creamy, keep beating and gently pour in sugar and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl to ensure all sugar is mixed.
  6. Continue beating and add the egg until well incorporated. Turn the mixer to low. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the ice water, in three separate additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl, then mix on low speed for a few more seconds.
  7. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form in a medium bowl, careful not to overbeat. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
  8. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, rotating the pans about 20 minutes into the baking time. Once a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, remove and transfer cakes to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Invert the cakes onto the rack, remove the pans, and let cool completely. Remove the parchment.
for the chocolate cheesecake filling:
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together on medium speed until smooth. 
  2. Turn the mixer to low speed, and gently pour in vanilla.  Slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, scraping sides of bowl to ensure all ingredients are fully incorporated.
for the strawberry cheesecake frosting:
1 quart strawberries
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  1. Place strawberries in food processor and puree until smooth.  Set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together on medium speed until smooth.
  3. Turn the mixer to low, and gently pour in vanilla and strawberry puree and mix until well incorporated.
  4. Keeping mixer on low, gently pour in powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until frosting becomes creamy and somewhat thick, or until desired consistency is attained.


4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, all that cheesecakey goodness would make me one happy person. Sounds like a stunner of a cake. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm!!! It was so tasty! Thanks for the credit buddy!! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow this looks amazing! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete