Saturday, October 23, 2010

brown sugar streusel french toast casserole


So many people in my life have been so supportive of me starting this blog.  It makes me feel so happy and lucky to know that the people who love me know what makes me happy and like seeing me doing something that I really enjoy.  I'm so grateful for all of the coffee that my dad has sent me so that I can incorporate my love of coffee into the blog, the numerous suggestions for themes that I've gotten from him and others, and the many supportive comments of my friends.  Yay blog!  

Needless to say, I become overjoyed when I have the chance to bake with those I love, and then write about it later.  This past weekend, my friends and trekked back to the lovely Ann Arbor for the Michigan/Iowa [homecoming] football game and had a blast.  When I first started the blog, my sister was super excited, as I have long since sent her links to various delectable recipes (and some just plain crazy things) and immediately demanded that I quote "get french toast on there ASAP."

I take orders well.  I combed through my database [I use this technical term to make me sound fancy, but all I really did was search my favorite blogs and sites for some good inspiration] and found some great ideas for french toast.  The thing about french toast is that it  is unknowingly versatile.  You can go the super delectable route by stuffing it with mascarpone and fruit, the super healthy route with whole grain bread and egg white, or somewhere in the middle by baking it in casserole form.  You can make french toast sticks.  Pumpkin pie french toast (did you hear that, pumpkin lovers?).  I gave Erin a million options to choose from, but she eventually decided on Baking Bites' Brown Sugar Streusel French Toast Casserole.  Something simple, yet uniquely comforting and sweet.


The first step is cutting all of the crusts off of your loaf of bread and then cutting each piece into triangle halves.  Yes, I said loaf.  We're making a casserole, remember?


You simply stack those triangles into your casserole pan and pour the egg mixture over it.  So easy!


Fool proof.


Then you make the streusel.  Also not possible to fail with this.


Top the bread with the streusel, ensuring that every crevasse is proportionately strudel-laden.  If you like, double the streusel recipe and for additional crunch, and add streusel between each layer of bread.  Totally optional, but just an idea for improvement that Erin and I brainstormed afterward.


Give your will power a great challenge and wrap the casserole up with saran wrap and refrigerate it overnight to let the egg mixture fully seep into the bread (and make your morning breakfast super fabulous, quick, and easy.)


In the morning before you hop in the shower, throw this in the oven at 350.  Once you're out of the shower and dressed 40 minutes later, pull this out of the oven, let it cool while you prepare your coffee, and cut into squares.  You can totally top this with maple syrup if you like, too.  Either way, it's definitely a great way to start a workday, or weekend breakfast with friends.


Brown Sugar Streusel French Toast Casserole
Adapted from Baking Bites

12 slices whole wheat bread
2 cups skim milk
4 large eggs
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Streusel:
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
pinch salt
2 tbsp butter, melted
  1. Cut crusts off bread and cut each piece into triangles. Arrange bread into three even layers (the exact number of slices will vary depending on the size of the bread you start out with) in a lighlty greased 8-inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, brown sugar, salt, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth. Pour over bread. Press down to ensure all pieces are thoroughly soaked. Custard should just come to the top of the bread layer. It if covers it more deeply, add additional bread.
  3. In a small bowl, make the streusel. Stir together brown sugar, flour and salt. Pour in butter and stir with a form until mixture has the consistency of wet sand. Sprinkle evenly over bread and custard.
  4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
  5. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 and bake for about 35-40 minutes, until french toast is a crisp and golden brown on top. Let the dish stand for a few minutes. The dish will be very soft and souffle-like, but should not be too runny. The french toast will continue to set and soak up the custard as it cools. Slice and serve warm, with maple syrup.
Coffee Pairing: Although the french toast is not overly-sweet in my opinion (substituting whole wheat for white bread really helps), a simple breakfast coffee goes perfectly with this meal - try roasting the Kenyan Kirinyaga Gakuyuini bean from Burman Coffee, which you can order online here.

The verdict?


What?!  This is French Toast? Come on, Auntie Liss...


Ohhh, me likey.

2 comments:

  1. That looks sooo good! And he is absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEED PUMPKIN PIE FRENCH TOAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete