Saturday, October 23, 2010

revisiting old friends



Remember this guy?  Yeah, I eat him almost every day.  Well, a version of him every day.  My rationale is that he only constitutes about 350 calories, and the protein and complex carbs that he packs into his pretty self keeps me full until lunch, so why not try perfecting this recipe by modifying it every morning until I get it just right?


First I played around with the sugar content - this was tricky.  For a while I would use 1/2 a teaspoon of brown sugar, and 1/2 a teaspoon of regular refined white sugar.  But one morning as I was searching for more vanilla, I knocked over the box of TruVia that I totally forgot was sitting in my cupboard and thought, if this can work, I've really got something.  So I did.  And I won't go back.  The 0 calorie, all natural sweetener (not to mention no sucralose/aspartame) is the perfect sugar substitute. I also suppose that topping the pancake with my new favorite topping, my Dad's blueberry jam, cancels this out, but honestly?  Holy blueberry goodness - I do love anything blueberry, but this stuff just blows any other pancake topping out of the water. I am not a huge syrup fan [you may notice maple syrup next to the jam...haven't been able to stop myself from having the jam yet, but someday I'll get to it!], but I love unordinary pancake toppings, so I highly suggest going out and getting yourself some blueberry jam, or maybe even some pumpkin butter.  Mmm.


Then I had a far less grand epiphany: maybe I should see what it would be like with an egg white.  It's weird that the recipe doesn't have eggs, right? No. What yielded from this addition was the most rubbery, dense, yet moist pancake I've ever eaten in my life.  I would not serve this to my worst enemy.



After these two contrasting experiments and a wide range of others (the addition of cloves was also one of my prouder moments, and I finally got around to substituting the oil for unsweetened applesauce - good thinking on my part again), I think I've finally got something good to share.  Here is my totally revised recipe for my Whole Wheat Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancake:

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancake [for one]
Adapted slightly from Joy the Baker


1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 packets TruVia or PureVia stevia extract sugar
1/3 cup whole gain oats [you can use Quaker, steel cut, whatever...I really like Country Choice Organic Multi Grain Hot Cereal from TJ's]
2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
1/3 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
  1. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and sugar.  Sift until well mixed, about three-four times.  
  2. Add in oats and walnuts and stir to combine.  
  3. In a separate bowl, stir together the milk, vanilla, applesauce, and lemon juice.  Add to dry ingredient mixture and stir to combine with three-four swift strokes (you do not want to over-mix.)
  4. Pour batter into griddle or non-stick frying pan, using the back of your spoon to spread the batter across the pan (the batter is quite thick.)
  5. Cook on low-medium heat for about four minutes on the first side, and two on the second.
  6. Top with sliced bananas, blueberry jam, pumpkin butter, maple syrup, or honey.
Coffee pairing: Depending on your topping, the coffee selection can vary. If you are topping it with pumpkin butter, I'd highly suggest my favorite roast from Einstein (do I need to explain its amazing-ness again?)  Otherwise, another great coffee is the Honduran Marcala blend that you can obtain here.  A great morning coffee that is light, slightly sweet, and has hints of fruit with a slight depth of chocolate that compliments the hearty pancake well.
_________________________________________________________________


I don't stop there, though.  I'd like to leave you with a photo montage of my second attempt at Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They were even better the second time around, and my doubts about the addition of chocolate chips was quickly squashed.  Consider my recipe officially revised.






Perfect cracks, perfect texture, and the nutty, caramel-y flavor that the brown butter adds is a work of art. I'll never go back to my old recipe again!  In case you forgot, here's the recipe:


Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Yours Truly


1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups cake flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
2 sticks butter
1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
¾ package Gihardelli milk chocolate chips and ½ package regular M&Ms
OR 1 package Gihardelli 60% cacao chips
  1. Cut up butter into small chunks and place in saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until completely melted, and continue to stir until butter becomes somewhat clear and brown-ish colored (about 5-8 minutes.)
  2. Remove from heat and add to sugar mixture (do not stir or mix together) and allow to come to room temperature – put in fridge for about 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, prepare dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  4. Once sugar/butter mixture is completely cooled, beat together until fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla.  
  5. Add flour mixture to butter and sugar mixture, one cup at a time, until just combined.  
  6. Once all ingredients are combined, mix in M&Ms and chocolate chips.
  7. Spoon dough into desired size and roll together in hands to ensure uniform size and baking shape. Bake cookies on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for approximately 12 minutes, until holes/cracks appear in middle of cookie and border becomes golden brown.

I die.

Coffee pairing: Mocha Java blend from Caribou Coffee.  This chocolate-y smooth dark roast is one of my all time favorite coffees, and it brews wonderfully at home.  I always try to keep some in the cupboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment