Saturday, September 25, 2010

lazy busy saturday

I didn't go to yoga this morning. I laid in bed until 10. I also went to bed at 9:30 last night. Why so lazy, you ask? It's been a crazy week. So, when I finally did drag myself out of bed, I declared today wasn't going to follow my usual Saturday routine - I had already come to terms with not going to yoga, and I didn't want my usual oatmeal for breakfast. I wanted pancakes. Or rather, a pancake. A really, really, delectable, hearty, fulfilling pancake. It couldn't just be any pancake, so I knew just where to look: a fellow foodie who knows and adores her pancakes. Thanks, Joy!

Joy calls hers "The Single Lady Pancake." Why? Because it makes one large, amazingly delectable pancake. Could this have met my needs any more perfectly this morning? The pancake was delicious. I did make a few adjustments, though, in order to not feel entirely worthless for not working out this morning and substituted whole wheat flour for all purpose. I made sure it was still fluffy though by sifting it 3 times with the baking powder and soda, and it still came out wonderfully. The thing that I love about this recipe is that it doesn't use any eggs! And, all of the ingredients are always stocked in your pantry, so needless to say, I still haven't left the house today. Perfection.


See? One. Big. Amazing. Pancake.

I think next time I will substitute the oil for applesauce and see how that works - it was a little dry (probably because of the WW flour), but I still loved it. I don't have any maple syrup in my apartment, but again, I wasn't too upset because it was: a) still delicious; and b) gave me less guilt at the end of the meal.


Mine isn't as pretty as Joy's. And it may have broke when I flipped it.  But it's still worth every bite, I promise.  Oh, and in keeping with the premise of the blog, although this meal would not typically be consumed during the socially-acceptable drinking hours, if one were to consume it for, say, dinner...I'd suggest a lighter sweeter white - one of my favorites is the Chateau Grand Traverse Late Harvest Reisling.  But this time, I was more than happy with a large mug of my own brewed Acacia blend coffee from Caribou Coffee.

Oatmeal Cinnamon Whole Wheat Pancake (for one)
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Makes one large pancake

1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup dried oats (quick cooking or regular)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
banana slices
optional: walnuts, apples, or raisins as mix-ins
  1. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and sugar.  Add oats.  
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, vanilla, and milk. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir to combine, careful not to overmix.
  3. Heat a small frying pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in the pancake batter (you will have to spread some with the back of a spoon since it is quite thick.) Cook over medium heat until bubbles form and pop on the surface of the pancake.
  4. Cook until golden brown - about 3 minutes on the first side and 1 on the second. Remove from pan and onto a plate. Top with banana slices and maple syrup, if you have some. :) 

3 comments:

  1. That is very good wine. Some people add walnuts to whole wheat pancakes to compliment the texture and add some protein, but I suppose that depends on how you feel about nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the walnuts! But, I am touch and go with them, so that's why I just listed them as optional. I almost put them in my pancake today, but decided against it - maybe next time. I do love the extra protein, so I usually add them to my oatmeal.

    This recipe needs a few tweaks, too: I remade it this morning and it's just too dry, so watch for a revision soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,
    I guess I am with you, I am not crazy over nuts in pancakes. When you said the pancake is dry, do you mean it is tough? To make your pancake fluffy, you must not over mix the batter and let it rest for at least 30 mins before you cook it. Add a squeeze of lemon juice will help to make it more most and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete